Style News Roundup: Oscar Fashion, Gerard Piqué, GiseleBy Jeffrey Hyatt
It’s Oscar weekend, so the style focus will be firmly directed on Hollywood to see who’s wearing what and how they look wearing it. We have news that the gentlemen will be bringing the classic tuxedo style back to the Oscars, leaving behind some of the more non-conformist fashion choices of the past few years. We also have GQ’s pick for best new menswear designer and a famous soccer player is chosen as the new face of a popular fashion line.
Check below for all the latest style news.
- The Wall Street Journal informs us that at Sunday’s Oscars, the classic look will be back. “Expect to see traditional tuxes instead of the colorful shirts and Colonel Sanders neckwear of ‘creative black tie.”
- Alexander Wang has been announced as GQ‘s Best New Menswear Designer. Alexander is the fifth designer to receive this honor. Wang gets $50,000 to be used toward his line. In addition, like all of the finalists, he will receive a mentorship with Docker’s, Bloomingdale’s, and the editors of GQ and will also design a piece for a limited-edition Docker’s capsule collection, which will be sold in Bloomingdale’s locations in the fall and be featured in the September 2011 issue.
- BBC News has the story of Andrej Pejic, a male model taking part in the womenswear shows at London fashion week.
- The west is the best says the Seattle Times. ‘The two major themes for fall 2011 casual wear: the Old West and a continuing interest in classic American work wear.’
- Barcelona player Gerard Piqué has been signed as the new face of Mango’s men’s fashion line H.E. for the 2011 Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter seasons. The Spanish footballer/World Cup winner was chosen by the brand because “Gerard Pique is the perfect representation of the type of man the brand aims to dress: young and carefree, with his own style and personality.” He’s also supposedly dating Shakira, so there’s that.
- Gisele’s still got it: The 30-year-old Brazilian model Gisele Bundchen is a “Modern Muse.” She is one of the eight cover girls for Muse Magazine’s Spring 2011 #25 issue.
- MTV chooses 10 of the Oscars Craziest Looks Ever.
- Then there’s this whole Beyonce in blackface thing.